Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Five for Five

Well, time to post an entry about this past weekends race.  Monster Triathlon in Pulaski, TN was certainly different than any race I have ever done.  The race started and finished in a cemetery.  This certainly gave incentive to race fast.  Gave a whole new meaning to the feeling of dropping dead on the run.

The swim was a 200 yard pool swim in a 25 yard pool.  This pool had very narrow lanes which made passing almost impossible.  Swam a miserable 3:33.  This was so very disappointing.  Quick T1 as I got out on the bike.  This race is called Monster because it typically has a monster hill (closed for construction this year) and several other serious rollers.  I hit the rollers and my legs just wanted to quit on me.  The weeks of racing really started to scream on the long sustained climbs.  Felt like I was crawling along.  Finished with a 31:00 bike split at 21 mph so I guess I was moving....but not as fast as I would have like.

Got back to T2 and headed out on the run at a quick clip.  The run was mostly flat through the cemetery and around the local school.  I tried hard to push the pace on the run as the previous weeks :25 second loss was still fresh in my mind.  I finished the run in 21:24 and felt like I was going to lose my breakfast at the line.  Stringing these time together was good enough to take clydesdale.

Final race in the series is this upcoming week.  Old Hickory Triathlon has a swim, run, bike, run structure.  I'm not sure how this will work for me.  I have taken Monday and Tuesday of this week off to give my legs a chance to recover.  Get back at it tomorrow and get ready for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment