Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Where to go in 2012 - Go Long to Go Fast

I have been spending a lot of time about where I would like my 2012 race season to go.  This has led me to analyze my 2011 race season in a more comprehensive sense.  Considering where my races felt strong, where they fell apart and where I see opportunity for improvement.  This post is going to talk about one area where I would like to improve in 2012 - that is stamina.

Let me explain how I think this is going to happen.  I raced a lot of sprint races this season....I mean that, a whole lot.  I got very comfortable at this distance and I felt like my body was tuned into this distance fairly well.  My mind could focus on things other than how much longer I have to push at this distance.  When I stepped up and raced olympic distance races I noticed that this was not the case.  For example, Hy-Vee 5150 Age Group championships showed me the potential for improvement when I was out on the run.  I worked hard to hold back on the bike so I could have legs on the run.  When I hit the run I felt solid through the first 5k, stable through the next 2.5k and unable to hold the pace for the last 2.5k.  This taught me that I had raced too short all season.  I really enjoyed the local sprint series and it really helped me in other aspects, but in order to hold the swim/bike/run pace I need to be more competitive in olympics I need to get comfortable with that pace for that distance.

I have made mistakes in the past trying to bite off more of a race than I was ready for.  I have learned that to progress at this sport (absent pure freakish talent) you need to dedicate concerted efforts over an extended period of time.  This means using your head way before you roll out of bed in the morning to start your training or race for the day.  It starts with a plan for your season that will give you the best chance to maximize those training and racing days.  For me that means going longer so I can go faster.

So, here is what I am thinking for 2012 (assuming the coach agrees).  Instead of 4 sprints and 4 olympics (or so) I am thinking 4 halfs and 4 olympics (or so).  The halfs for 2012 are not going to be "races" per se but rather are going to just help me work on pacing and time out on the course.  I am hoping that this will progress to the olympics feeling short in comparison.  I am still going to sprinkle in the local sprints as high intensity training sessions so I can keep up the speed and keep up with the local tri community.  So, that's what I'm thinking....we will have to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment